Senior strategy consultant
About the job.
help world’s largest organizations navigate transformational shifts
Board of Innovation is an independent & international business design agency, with offices in Antwerp and New York and activities all over the world. We help the world’s largest organizations navigate transformational shifts, developing growth strategies, designing new businesses & building innovation capabilities.
Over the past 10 years, Board of Innovation worked with large corporates and Fortune 500s, both B2B and B2C, including General Electric, AB Inbev, Novartis, TD Bank, Adidas, ING, Vanderlande, Thomson Reuters and SOS Children’s Villages.
We don’t believe in forcing someone into a specific job function. Your role will be shaped based on your own interest and experience, as well as those of your team members; and even more importantly, everyone’s role is expected to evolve continuously.
We are looking for an experienced (minimum 3 yrs) senior strategy consultant. Consider this as a starting point for the role:
- You help senior innovation and management teams in defining their business / innovation strategies and translating those into concrete action points. You maintain a helicopter view of their business, the market dynamics and industry trends enabling you to solve their biggest problems and capture their greatest opportunities.
- You act as a strong coach and challenger to corporate innovation teams in their quest for new products, services and business models. While doing this, you ensure a long term impact on organizations, by helping to build strong internal innovation capabilities. You help corporate clients to adopt new frameworks and ways of working in order to navigate transformational change. You understand complex corporate dynamics and can help C-level and management teams in setting up long term innovation programs and executing them. You relate to C-level’s concerns and challenges and can work with them to ensure innovation programs’ success.
- You build the differentiating capabilities they need to grow by facilitating these C-level relationships through the different phases of innovative product or service developments. You collaborate with them throughout the entire process.
- You support corporate innovation teams to understand customers’ needs and to satisfy those with innovative product, services and experiences that create value for the customers and the organization.
- You help corporate clients lead transformational change and create new innovative working models. How? By guaranteeing a strong focus on understanding the customer so that you can translate their needs into business value.
- You prove the impact of innovation through supporting corporate innovation teams in their quest for new desirable, viable and feasible business opportunities. Together you turn them into significant business value and results (eg by creating disruptive new business models, generating actual new revenue streams, coaching a new product launch, etc).
INTERNATIONAL TOP TALENT, organized in self-steering teams, valued for their entrepreneurship
At Board of Innovation, consultants are not managed but given the freedom and trust to organize themselves in entrepreneurial self-steering teams. That’s why within your team, next of being a top notch consultant, you also grow into several business-critical domains like recruiting, marketing, sales, finance, coaching, etc. Learn more about our values and unique culture here.
We are looking for someone like you!
You have always been passionate and knowledgeable about customer-centric innovation, corporate innovation, new business models and next-gen technologies.
You proactively expand your academic background in Business/ Economics/ Innovation by always keeping yourself up-to-date on everything innovation and strategy related.
- You know the most common innovation tools, frameworks, methodologies, but are also critical to understand their disadvantages, pitfalls and shortcomings.
You have substantial experience in business modeling (eg as an innovation consultant, business designer, leading a startup team, a product manager, an entrepreneur, …)
You understand how businesses work, you have strong business analytical skills and are able to run ballpark estimates or challenge a business case on-the-spot
As a future thinker, you have a nose for what could work and you’re able to generate new ideas with a clear business model
track record of strategic visioning / insight development
- You have substantial and relevant experience in strategy (e.g. as a senior strategy consultant, strategy manager, innovation consultant, innovation manager, strategy lead,…). You can efficiently develop a clear vision on the strategic value agenda of key clients.
- You know how to deal with ambiguity and complexity, and you are comfortable with the fuzzy front- ends of innovation.
- You are particularly strong at facilitating whiteboard discussions with a C-suite audience.
Credible & effective communicator
You easily connect with people, and you have an open, empathic, proactive and to-the-point communication style.
You are able to constructively formulate your own opinion, backed up with strong arguments and confidence.
- Your English is ‘CEO proof”. On top of that, you can easily speak/write one or more of the following languages: German, Dutch, French.
Customer-centric commercial capabilities
- You have commercial experience in each stage of the sales cycle (getting leads, creating proposals, negotiating, closing, upselling).
- You establish and grow meaningful client partnerships, understand their real needs and are able to translate these into effective solutions.
- You spot and create opportunities to grow into a more strategic long-term collaboration.
- You combine a focus for creating value with a strong commercial mindset, and are comfortable to leverage both in sales conversations.
with our team
You have what it takes to thrive in our team: an authentic personality, a no-nonsense approach, a relentless drive to learn, an open mindset, an entrepreneurial attitude, a true team spirit (no ego’s!) and you share our ‘raise the bar’ mentality.
As we value diversity, you also bring in something unique, a new perspective, new competencies, or an interesting background that clearly complements and strengthens our team somehow!
You are an EU-citizen (or Belgian resident) and thus eligible to work in Europe.
- You have experience in managing teams from 5 to 15 people
Why join Board of Innovation?
Because you enjoy working on the most amazing innovation projects with Fortune 500 corporates (like GE, Philips, Danone, AB InBev, ING and Roche) and having direct impact on their innovation strategies.
Because you thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, prefer to work in self-steering teams, and want to contribute to our overall business strategies and growth.
Because you want numerous on-the-job-and-beyond learning opportunities, the possibility to develop yourself in a direction of choice, and you receive a self-development budget.
Because you like to eat healthy every day (breakfast, lunch, soup, fruits, drinks, … for free!) , and are not afraid to take the risk to get addicted to our coffee bean machine. Not to mention those legendary Funky Fridays.
Because you appreciate a stimulating office environment, like the opportunity to work at standing desks while listening to your free Spotify account, walk around barefoot on our amazingly soft carpet floor, or read a book in our cozy couches corner
Because you look for a place where you can be your whole self, and become part of highly talented, ambitious, (from time to time hilarious) international and diverse team (15 different nationalities and counting!).
Because you love to travel worldwide (and long for more checks on that bucket-list) , you are eager to build a global professional network, while appreciating Belgium as your (new) base.
Because you want to craft your own job? Well, we encourage you to do so. It’s about creating opportunities to play to your strengths to create an even bigger impact. We want to support you to fulfill your professional and entrepreneurial ambitions.
Upload your cv, share your portfolio, have a chatbot introducing yourself … up to you! Next, fill out the application questions and submit! We’re lucky to get +200 applicants per month but we promise to definitely get back to you within (latest!) 2 weeks.
To prepare for this call, we will invite you to take some (challenging :)) online reasoning tests. During this initial 15-minute video call, we meet each other for the first time. We will ask a few additional things about your past experiences and/or drivers, and obviously also give you the opportunity to ask a few early burning questions.
So far so good! We clearly see your potential for this role, so you’ll be invited to prepare a case to test your business case development. FYI: about 75% of the candidates in this stage make it to the next stage!
During this 1 hour in-depth interview you’ll pitch your case and get challenged by one of our senior consultants. During the interview our talent recruiter will also question you on a few additional aspects for culture and role fit. Again, as this process works both ways, this is another great opportunity for you to also find out more about us. Don’t hold back!
Live job assessments
On average 5% of all applicants make it to this final step. During this 3-hour session, you’ll run a few ‘dummy’ simulations of what a senior business designer does at our company. Doing so, you’ll meet several people from the team (so you too can ask any questions you still might have). Exercises can include a sales-call, facilitation of a specific workshop, and an on-the-spot consultancy advice challenge.
Welcome on Board
Hooray! We are very honoured to make you a job offer and look forward for you to join our troops!