Co-founder – Board Of Innovation Singapore
About the job.
Thank you for your interest in this position!
Thank you for your patience.
Fuel the growth of board of innovation
Board of Innovation is an independent & international business design agency, with offices in Antwerp and New York and activities all over the world. We help the world’s largest organizations navigate transformational shifts, developing growth strategies, designing new businesses & building innovation capabilities.
Over the past 10 years, Board of Innovation worked with large corporates and Fortune 500s, both B2B and B2C, including General Electric, AB Inbev, Novartis, TD Bank, Adidas, ING, Vanderlande, Thomson Reuters and SOS Children’s Villages.
Headquartered in Belgium for over ten years, we’ve recently opened Board of Innovation’s second office in New York, USA. Next stop, Asia.
We’re looking for an entrepreneurial co-founder, passionate about innovation, that wants to kickstart our Singapore office. You will lead the whole preparation, coordination and establishment of this new office.
Kickstart, develop and grow our singapore office
Consider this as a starting point for the role:
- Immersion & onboarding
- In the initial phase, we fly you to our HQ’s and immerse you in hands-on project work and sparring sessions with our own business designers (while eating our famous Belgian fries) to fully grasp Board of Innovation’s unique value proposition, organisational culture and way of working.
- (Pre-)Launch the office
- After an intensive market & business validation phase, you’ll coordinate the set-up of the new office and lead the business operations onwards: from settling all legal requirements enabling you to operate the business, to finding an inspiring workspace, recruiting an entrepreneurial team with superpowers, and setting up financial/sales targets and workflows etc. You will be supported in this journey by local experts and BOI HQ team.
- Develop and grow the business
- You fuel the growth of Board of Innovation (as you own our APAC growth objectives) by developing business development strategies for new and existing business relationships. You create, maintain and leverage an extensive and relevant local network, leading to a strategic advantage and business. You act as a credible sounding board and trusted partner to these prospected clients’ executive stakeholders. By growing meaningful long-term partnerships and anticipating their challenges in innovation, you develop successful innovation strategies, as well as identify, conceptualize and create new product-market combinations.
- You’re always looking for the next opportunity, no matter where you are. You are eager to reach out to potential new leads to drum up new business. Supported by the HQ marketing team you also coordinate targeted outbound marketing and sales strategies including content, events and campaigns.
- Client management and high quality delivery
- You define the initial sourcing strategies for client project execution (e.g. fly in BOI HQ consultants, build a local freelance network etc).
- You are also able to take on strategic client projects yourself if needed, in which you support corporate innovation teams in their quest for new business opportunities (e.g. by creating new businesses, new product launches, etc). You are strong in facilitating and consulting these teams (and guide them through the different phases of innovative product or service developments – strategy fit, problem fit, solution fit, go-to-market).
INTERNATIONAL TOP TALENT, organized in self-steering teams, valued for their entrepreneurship
At Board of Innovation, consultants are not managed but given the freedom and trust to organize themselves in entrepreneurial self-steering teams – called circles. Within your team, you’ll have the chance to develop in several business-critical domains, such as recruiting, marketing, sales, finance, and coaching. In addition, you may learn some surprising skills, such as surfing (which our consultants practiced during our recent summer office).
We are looking for someone like you!
You have always been passionate and knowledgeable about customer-centric innovation, corporate innovation, new business models and next-gen technologies.
You proactively expand your academic background in Business/ Design/ Innovation/ Engineering/ Digital by always keeping yourself up-to-date on everything innovation-related.
- You know the most common innovation tools, frameworks, methodologies, but are also critical to understand their disadvantages, pitfalls and shortcomings.
- You understand how businesses work, you have strong business analytical skills and are able to run ballpark estimates or challenge a business case on-the-spot.
You have substantial experience in business modeling (eg as an innovation consultant, business designer, leading a startup team, a product manager, an entrepreneur, …).
As a future thinker, you have a nose for what could work and you’re able to generate new ideas with a clear business model.
- A strong local business network in South-East Asia is definitely a plus!
in getting things done
- You are a born entrepreneur: you thrive in ambiguity and enjoy working at start up speed.
- Your bias to action always takes you to the logical next step, and to keep track of overall progress and next steps.
- You are an achiever. You are hands-on and do what needs to be done to get results. You easily switch between several roles.
- Your strong business development capabilities contributed to your proven track record of tangible business results.
- You have gained intercontinental work experience.
Credible & effective communicator
You have outstanding communication and presenting skills.
You easily connect with people with your open, empathic, proactive and to-the-point communication style.
You are able to constructively formulate your own opinion, backed up with strong arguments and confidence.
- Your English is ‘CEO proof’, other languages are definitely an asset. Asian languages are an asset (such as Chinese, Mandarin, Indonesian, Malay, etc.)
CUSTOMER-CENTRIC COMMERCIAL CAPABILITIES
- Substantial relevant experience (e.g. as entrepreneur, sales manager, new business developer, account manager, client director, innovation consultant, etc.).
- Comfortable building relationships at the leadership level of global enterprises.
- You make sure to understand the real (strategic) needs and context behind a customer’s request and can advise accordingly.
with our team
You have what it takes to thrive in our team: an authentic personality, a no-nonsense approach, a relentless drive to learn, an open mindset, an entrepreneurial attitude, a true team spirit (no ego!) and you share our ‘raise the bar’ mentality.
As we value diversity, you also bring in something unique, a new perspective, new competences, or an interesting background that clearly complements and strengthens our team somehow!
Upload your CV, share your portfolio, introduce yourself – it’s up to you! Next, fill out the application questions and submit! We get +200 applications per month but we promise to get back to you in 2 weeks at the latest.
Ahead of the video call, we’ll invite you to take some (challenging :)) online reasoning tests. During the initial 15-minute video call, we meet each other for the first time. We will ask a few additional things about your past experiences and/or drivers, and obviously give you the opportunity to ask a few early burning questions.
So far, so good! We clearly see your potential for this role, so you’ll be invited to prepare a case to test your business-case development skills. FYI: About 75% of the candidates who reach this stage make it to the next!
During this 1 hour in-depth interview, you’ll pitch your case and get challenged by one of our senior consultants. During the interview, our talent recruiter will also question you on a few additional aspects for culture and role fit. Again, as this process works both ways, this is another great opportunity for you to also find out more about us. Don’t hold back!
Live job assessments
On average, 5% of all applicants make it to this final step. During this 2-hour session, you’ll run a few ‘dummy’ job assessments and you’ll meet several people from the team (so you too can ask any questions you still might have). Exercises can include a role-play sales call, design and facilitation of a specific workshop, and an on-the-spot consultancy advice challenge.
Welcome on Board
Hooray! We’re thrilled with what we’ve seen and as a result, we’ll offer you the role!