Business development lead
About the job.
You fuel the growth of board of innovation
In this role you can fuel the growth of Board of Innovation and shape our sales strategy for new and existing business relationships. Our storytelling & innovation DNA is the baseline from where you will have the opportunity to co-lead our new business development activities, draft compelling proposals, and establish new meaningful client relationships – in a growing and evolving startup environment. Experience in consulting or corporate innovation is a plus. If interested, you could grow into an innovation consultant role.
Our clients are Fortune 500 clients spread over the globe. Are you as excited as we are in bringing innovation to big corporates? Can you build relationships with the right decision makers within these companies? We expect you to think internationally, to work with different cultures and to get results, together with your self-steering team.
An interesting mix of business development & innovation consultancy
- You analyze our current sales strategy and processes and are able to spot bottlenecks.
- You strategize our sales approach (short & long term) and target customers in a meaningful, differentiated way (e.g. by region, offering, potential,…)
- You deeply understand the needs of clients and translate these into compelling solutions and sales proposals.
- You negotiate complex deals with procurement and C-suite.
- You participate in competitive tenders, and create a differentiating story.
- You map out stakeholders in a large corporate context and are able to grow meaningful client partnerships accordingly.
- You know what qualities make a good salesperson. You coach and support the consultants in sales and account management and help with hiring the best profiles for our teams.
- You help big corporates to shape and execute their growth and innovation strategies by building and coaching their internal innovation teams.
- You support corporate innovation teams in their quest for new desirable, viable and feasible business opportunities. Together you turn them into significant business value and results (eg by creating disruptive new business models, generating actual new revenue streams, coaching a new product launch, etc).
PROVEN business INNOVATION METHODOLOGIES & practices
You will inspire clients with the best practices in innovation, deep user understanding, and relevant tools and techniques. From design-thinking methodologies to lean-start-up principles and innovation strategy frameworks. Where needed, you create innovation playbook and cases. That’s why you proactively keep yourself up-to-date on all-innovation-related news. This allows you to spot analogies, be critical about frameworks and be able to conceptualize useful frameworks or innovation methodologies yourself. Discover some of our favorite tools here, and dive into our technology library here.
INTERNATIONAL TOP TALENT, organized in self-steering teams, valued for their entrepreneurship
At Board of Innovation, consultants are not managed but given the freedom and trust to organize themselves in entrepreneurial self-steering teams. That’s why within your team, next of being a top notch consultant, you also grow into several business-critical domains like recruiting, marketing, sales, finance, coaching, etc. Learn more about our values and unique culture here
We are looking for someone like you!
You have always been passionate and knowledgeable about customer-centric innovation, corporate innovation, new business models and next-gen technologies.
You proactively expand your academic background in Business/ Design/ Innovation/ Engineering/ Digital by always keeping yourself up-to-date on everything innovation-related.
- You know the most common innovation tools, frameworks, methodologies, but are also critical to understand their disadvantages, pitfalls and shortcomings.
- You understand how businesses work, you have strong business analytical skills and are able to run ballpark estimates or challenge a business case on-the-spot.
You have substantial experience in business modeling (eg as an innovation consultant, business designer, leading a startup team, a product manager, an entrepreneur, …).
As a future thinker, you have a nose for what could work and you’re able to generate new ideas with a clear business model.
in getting things done
- You know how to deal with ambiguity and complexity, and you are comfortable with the fuzzy front- ends of innovation.
- Your bias to action always takes you to the logical next step, and to keep track of overall progress and next steps.
- You are an achiever. You are hands-on and do what needs to be done to get results. You easily switch between several roles.
- Your strong business development capabilities contributed to your proven track record of tangible business results.
Credible & effective communicator
You have outstanding communication and presenting skills.
You easily connect with people with your open, empathic, proactive and to-the-point communication style.
You are able to constructively formulate your own opinion, backed up with strong arguments and confidence.
- Your English is ‘CEO proof’, other languages are definitely an asset.
CUSTOMER-CENTRIC COMMERCIAL CAPABILITIES
- Substantial relevant experience (e.g. as entrepreneur, sales manager, new business developer, account manager, client director, innovation consultant,…).
- Comfortable in building relationships at the leadership level of global enterprises.
- You make sure to understand the real (strategic) needs and context behind a customer’s request and can advise accordingly.
with our team
You have what it takes to thrive in our team: an authentic personality, a no-nonsense approach, a relentless drive to learn, an open mindset, an entrepreneurial attitude, a true team spirit (no ego’s!) and you share our ‘raise the bar’ mentality.
As we value diversity, you also bring in something unique, a new perspective, new competences, or an interesting background that clearly complements and strengthens our team somehow!
You are a EU-citizen and thus eligible to work in Europe.
Why join Board of Innovation?
Because you enjoy working on the most amazing innovation projects with Fortune 500 corporates (like GE, Philips, Danone, AB InBev, ING and Roche) and having direct impact on their innovation strategies.
Because you thrive in an entrepreneurial environment, prefer to work in self-steering teams, and want to contribute to our overall business strategies and growth.
Because you get numerous on-the-job-and-beyond learning opportunities, the possibility to develop yourself in a direction of choice, and you receive a self-development budget.
Because you like to eat healthy every day (breakfast, lunch, soup, fruits, drinks, … for free!) , and are not afraid to take the risk to get addicted to our coffee bean machine. Not to mention those legendary Funky Fridays.
Because you appreciate a stimulating office environment, like the opportunity to work at standing desks while listening to your free Spotify account, walk around barefoot on our amazingly soft carpet floor, or read a book in our cozy couches corner
Because you look for a place where you can be your whole self, and become part of highly talented, ambitious, (from time to time hilarious) international and diverse team (13 different nationalities and counting!).
Because you love to travel worldwide (and long for more checks on that bucket-list) , you are eager to build a global professional network, while at appreciating Belgium as your (new) base.
Because you want to craft your own job? Well, we encourage you to do so. It’s about creating opportunities to play to your strengths to create an even bigger impact. We want to support you to fulfil your professional and entrepreneurial ambitions.
Upload your cv, share your portfolio, have a chatbot introducing yourself … up to you! Next, fill out the application questions and submit! We’re lucky to get +200 applicants per month but we promise to definitely get back to you within (latest!) 2 weeks.
To prepare for this video call, we will invite you to take some (challenging :)) online reasoning tests. During this initial 15-minute video call, we meet each other for the first time. We will ask a few additional things about your past experiences and/or drivers, and obviously also give you the opportunity to ask a few early burning questions.
So far so good! We clearly see your potential for this role, so you’ll be invited to prepare a case to test your business case development skills. FYI : about 75% of the candidates in this stage make it to the next stage!
During this 1 hour in-depth interview you’ll pitch your case and get challenged by one of our senior consultants. During the interview our talent recruiter will also question you on a few additional aspects for culture and role fit. Again, as this process works both ways, this is another great opportunity for you to also find out more about us. Don’t hold back!
Live job assessments
On average 5% of all applicants make it to this final step. During this 2-hour session, you’ll run a few ‘dummy’ job assessments and you’ll meet several people from the team (so you too can ask any questions you still might have). Exercises can include a role-play-sales-call, design and facilitation of a specific workshop, and an on-the-spot consultancy advice challenge.
Welcome on Board
Hooray! We are very honoured to make you a job offer and look forward for you to join our troops!