Become a people-obsessed, disruptive innovation group
In the spring of 2020, the Latin American Innovation team at Colgate-Palmolive, a multinational consumer products company, reached out to Board of Innovation to level up their innovation capacity and accelerate key strategic projects. Their team recognized that their current innovation portfolio lacked novel and breakthrough innovations that take the next step at disrupting their industry. Their vision is to become a people-obsessed, disruptive innovation group, and needed help to realize it. Additionally, with remote-working becoming the new normal, the team wanted to level-up their digital collaboration capabilities.
Designing solutions that work
Over the 5-week accelerator program, the 10 teams exercised our Business Design process to thoroughly investigate consumer problem areas and develop a validated business proposition, with the goal to drive a new product launch by the end of the year.
Each team began with identifying customer insights through user interviews and research, designed solutions based on these problems and trend research, and developed a sustainable business model to bring their idea to life. Projects were shared and pitched internally.
Most are launching within the next 6-9 months, while a couple of other projects have opened up entirely new territories for the Colgate-Palmolive to further explore.
We asked the participants what they took away from the program and this is what we heard:
- Customer-centricity. “The importance of understanding true needs and insights in every stage of development.”
- Failing fast mindset. “Iterating should be championed as an essential part of the process.”
- Storytelling. “How to tell stories that are creative, clear, and convincing.”
- New business models. “How to think beyond product innovation into new business models and monetization strategies.”
- New collaboration tools. “Tools and methods to work creatively and collaboratively at a distance.”