Co-create new business with your most valued B2B customers.
Co-create value together to solve customer needs and problems faster.
There is a common misconception that disruptive innovation tools, methodologies and processes are mostly suited to the B2C world. In reality they are perfectly suited to both B2B and B2C contexts. B2B co-creation is designed for decision makers and sales cycles whilst building strong customer relationships, reducing risk and increasing speed-to-market.
The key added-value during co-creation is to bring together R&D, sales and marketing teams with your clients to create real business impact results. The format establishes a key broker network between business development cycles and sales to create new growth opportunities for both parties.
Of course client needs, problems and challenges are the starting point for innovation whilst developing intrapreneurial culture, talent and mindsets for innovation throughout the program.
What to expect from our B2B Co-creation program?
CO-DEVELOP NEW DISRUPTIVE BUSINESS
B2B co-creation programs are designed to manage risk and uncertainty when pursuing disruptive ideas for innovation in order to drive new business. Outcomes often result in highly-disruptive concepts with supporting business models and go-to-market plan by clearly articulating validated learning and concrete next steps with the client. You will become a global champion in serving your clients by involving them early in the innovation process.
DRAMATICALLY SPEED-UP TIME TO MARKET
Co-creating and co-developing by empathizing with partner needs and problems, to ideating, prototyping/minimal viable product (MVP), testing to (in)validate critical assumptions and developing new business models prototypes. The B2B format solves problems that clients are ready to pay for solutions with budgets already assigned and allocated. By closely aligning your organisation with client needs you to speed-up time-to-market significantly (especially in traditionally slow-moving heavy industries).
MAKE SURE YOU BUILD THE RIGHT THINGS TOGETHER
By testing your new value propositions business concepts early-on and iterating and pivoting where necessary based upon regular client feedback, you avoid the costly mistake of building the wrong thing in pursuit of solving critical needs and problems. On average 65% of final innovation concepts have been awarded ‘Golden Tickets’ by the customer partner to take new business ventures forward together, right away after the final executive panel team pitches – based upon B2B co-creation programs run by Board of Innovation through 2016-2018.
SOLVE REAL CUSTOMER NEEDS
A B2B co-creation format goes one step further than talent development programs: your project teams are not running a theoretical innovation exercise, but are in fact solving ‘real world’ customer problems that have a concrete bottom line business impact. Think of it as a game of poker. As soon as you play for real money, even if just €1, your focus, drive, and participation dramatically sharpens and transforms; and this is exactly what we see in project teams of co-creation programs.
Understand how B2B co-creation programs can be set up.
Teams are typically set up in two ways depending on how much time you can commit to with your strategic B2B partner organization:
- Involve the partner customer within the multi-disciplinary project teams to co-create throughout the innovation process from start to finish.
- Involve the partner customer at various points during the innovation process i.e. problem exploration interviewing, roundtable consulting panels, solution validation interviews and final pitching moments.
Key to B2B co-creation success is establishing small projects teams of up to 7 members from broad and diverse multi-disciplinary backgrounds, from different business units and functions in order to give many different perspectives on the challenge at hand.
Our tried and tested tools and methodologies will ensure teams are having fun whilst getting them outside of their daily comfort zone, to ‘where the magic happens’ in order to drive disruptive innovation outcomes. We encourage participants to openly voice their opinions, challenge the status quo, reflect on their cognitive biases, democratize participation and encourage each person to provide their own unique perspectives.
What do B2B Co-creation programs look like?
Each B2B Co-creation program needs to have a clearly defined joint vision covering the why and what questions with a clear supporting framework to manage expectations, intellectual property, NDA’s, exclusivity rights etc.
A B2B Co-creation program can be run in just 3-5 days or more longer-term co-creation involving a strategic partner customer, supplier or vendor over a 3-4 month. Over this period various customer touch points are setup to involve them throughout the innovation acceleration process.
Here are some example B2B Co-creation program formats:
2-day B2B(2C) intensive co-creation ideation
This two-day intensive format allows you to deep dive into the pains, needs, and problems of your B2B strategic partner, supplier or customer by using qualitative research methods from Design Thinking to get below the surface of what people say vs what they actually. By the end of the second day, you will have generated 200+ ideas and developed 10+ concept cards that specifically address and solve the initial problems uncovered.
Example tools and approaches can include:
- User empathy interviews
- Pain point and opportunity mapping to customer journeys
- User needs statements
- Service blueprinting
- How Might We? challenge definition
- Technology trends and drivers
- Analogy thinking and opposite thinking
- Speed storming concepts
- Concept card development
- Miniature pitches
Depending on your specific challenges, needs, and desired outcomes, the 2-day B2B co-creation format will be adjusted accordingly to ensure you achieve the right results. Get in touch with us for a no-strings-attached discussion about how we can help you out with your business challenges. We will also go over each program format and length that would be most suitable.
3-day B2B(2C) co-creation sprint
Presprint: Project teams carry-out 3-5 qualitative problem exploration interviews with the B2B partner, either by interviewing internally or ideally connecting with your customers’ customers. You’ll uncover deep insights to frame as how might we challenge statements to drive the rest of your B2B co-creation sprint.
The first day is about ideating widely to solve your B2B partner needs and problems uncovered by the pre-sprint work.
- Teams will generate 100+ of ideas using a variety of ideation techniques
- Each person arrives at a concept card and receives feedback through speed storming across the groups.
- By the end of the day, a single concept selection will be made based upon specific criteria that match the partner needs and problems uncovered.
The second day is all about diving into the specific features of the chosen concept whilst prioritizing them from the client or the final customer/user perspective.
- Teams will delve into Lean Startup in order to test their most critical leap of faith assumptions within the concept and its feature set.
- Rapid experiments will be designed to answer those critical assumptions through the use of a prototype of a minimal viable product (MVP)
- Designer(s) support each project team in bringing the concept to life without going near any product code or final designs. The idea is to fail as soon as possible and pivot based upon critical customer and/or client feedback.
The third day is crunch time for the prototype/MVP as it gets (in)validated with your customer or your customers’ customers.
- Teams will conduct 5 solution validation interviews with the customer with a highly-structured interview process designed to answer questions about the most critical deal breaker assumptions within the concept.
- A real-time video feed is sent to the rest of the team who will be avidly noting down key insights on post-its.
- During the afternoon on the third day, teams will synthesize and analyze their insight post-its in relation to their critical assumptions in order to (in)validate them collectively.
- The concept will then be pivoted in a new direction where necessary, more closely matching the customer needs and problems.
- Further sprints can then be run by the teams themselves if there are remaining or new assumptions to test in order for initial problems to be suitable addressed and solved by the new concept.
Once customer desirability (aka problem fit) assumptions have been addressed and solved by multiple stakeholders and customers, business model viability (aka solution fit) is the second phase and can also be co-created during a follow-up day session.
3-month B2B(2C) co-creation innovation accelerator
Formally kick-off the co-creation program with global teams.
- Align teams on the overview, learning process and expected outcomes
- Train the teams on how to conduct efficient and effective problem exploration interviews
Project teams go into the field to conduct interviews on site with the partner client
- In-depth insight discovery of key needs and problems
- Analysis and synthesis of the key insights for multiple stakeholder perspectives
Ideation & Prototyping (MVP development)
Intensive ideation and prototyping bootcamp over 4 days to develop new concepts and accompanying prototype/MVP’s to test with the B2B partner client
- Teams get inspired by local startups in a ‘Startup-Safari’ to kick-off the program, hearing first hand how startups conduct their innovation process and give insights into the mindsets needed for a fast-paced lean way of working.
- Rapid ideation rounds from internal, external and future perspectives to drive radical ideas
- Each participant develops a concrete concept card to address the initial B2B partner client needs and problems.
- Teams select a final concept to develop with the aid of professional designers to create a prototype/MVP in order to test the critical assumptions within the features of the concept using Lean Startup principals with our own Board of Innovation twist.
Armed with their prototype/MVP, teams go back out into the field to test their leap of faith assumptions within their new radical concepts.
- Participants are fully trained in how to conduct effective solution validation interviews with the intention of failing fast and failing early with a mindset to pivot concepts where necessary.
Business Model Innovation & Go-to-market plan with executive pitches
Having gained early-stage (in)validation on radial innovation concepts, teams now spend 4 days diving into business model innovation, developing a go-to-market plan with intensive pitch training for the final Dragon’s Den event with senior management both from your organization and the B2B partner organization.
- Participants will visually prototype new business models ensuring all stakeholders give and receive mutual value exchanges in new and disruptive ways.
- Project teams will gain inspirational insights from all possible ways in which business models can be assembled as well as how to test them, fast.
- A second roundtable and consult session is run with the B2B partner as well as internal business units, functions, and suppliers across the value chain to challenge the teams and gain early business model critiquing and validation.
- Each team will undergo intensive pitching training, not only the highlight of the program but useful and practical skills that can be used in day-to-day working.
At the end of the B2B co-creation innovation accelerator, all project teams will spend 6 weeks reflecting on the entire process and how it has impacted them culturally as well as practically on a day to day working basis. Teams join a follow-up webinar to discuss:
- Key reflections and learnings are made across all project teams to bolster innovation mindsets.
- Valuable learnings for future adaptations of the program can be captured.
- Solidify team camaraderie and build life-long professional and personal networks around innovation.
In order to ensure the innovation culture, mindset and new iterative way of working sticks within the routines and behaviors of participants is to subsequently deploy a playbook and toolbox.
- Teams can pick and choose from a vast array of program tools to support them in their day-to-day working
- Inspired ‘intrapreneurs’ can use the playbook to run their own fast-paced innovation cycles within their teams with clear step-by-step instructions on how to run the process at the speed and agility of a startup.
Playbook & toolkit development.
Playbooks and toolboxes are a highly effective way to empower people in their day-to-day working after participating in a fast-paced co-creation innovation cycle with a partner company. Momentum can easily be lost when returning back to the regular way of working, so it is vital to empower participants and organizations with a structured approach to innovation that can be initiated whenever desired by newly motivated team members. We tailor and customize our playbooks and toolkits to the specific needs of our clients so they can easily pick up where they left off. Playbooks often cover the following topics and feature all the tools of the program.
- Strategy tools: to help set strategies for innovation.
- Empathy tools and techniques: to walk in the shoes of your customers.
- Ideation tools: to come up with better, more creative ideas, more quickly.
- Business modeling tools: to turn business ideas into potential market success.
- Step-by-step guides for each tool.
- Facilitation tips for each tool.
- Suggestions of agendas for different workshops.
- Context: why do we innovate? What’s the company’s specific stance on innovation?
- Behavioral tips: what’s in the mind of the greatest innovators?
Trusted by Fortune500 and global innovators.
Board of Innovation makes Fortune500 corporations innovate like startups, mixing proven methods from design thinking and lean startup.
Our co-creation experiences.
+ New concepts identified and taken forward.
Multiple new products were launched in 2018
Multiple new products were launched in 2018
Multiple new concepts in validation in 2018
+3 Accelerators executed. Several new ventures launched with customer(s)
New joint business opportunities identified
Multiple new concepts identified and validated
Let's get in touch!
Do you want more information about this program? Please fill in the form below to have a quick chat with one of our experts.